During the early years of Virginia State University, the school’s mascot was known by several names, including the “Bearcats” and the “Hilltoppers.” It was not until 1936 that the University adopted the Trojan as its official school mascot.
Although no exact date or designer can be identified, the Virginia State University Alumni Association adopted the following logo sometime in the late 1960s or early 1970s, as the visual symbol of its distinct identity and history. The logo depicts a Trojan Warrior in true fighting form standing in a chariot and carrying a staff announcing the arrival of the fighting men and women of Troy.
The logo reflects an attempt by the Alumni Association to combine the best of both worlds by remaining true to the “Trojan” depicted in Greek tradition and the pride of being the loyal sons and daughters of Africa. In November 1998, the logo was modified by the Association’s Board of Directors to include a seal around the Trojan to emphasize the full name of the Alumni Association and the date of its incorporation. In 2007, the Board of Directors officially adopted the logo for official use by all active chapters within the Association.