History of the Association
The Virginia State University (VSU) Alumni Association was organized in 1889. N.T. Goldsbery was elected as the Association’s first president. Although there were only a few intermitted gatherings and meetings held by the Association during the years between 1889 and 1903, by 1904 a more permanent organization had been formed.
Over the course of the Association's almost 125-year existence, 37 individuals have served as president of the Alumni Association. The first female president was Josie P. Harris, who assumed office in 1899. The longest serving president was Milton T. Bailey who served from 1903-1932, totaling 29 years. The youngest serving president was Franklin Johnson, Jr. who was 29 at the time he was sworn into office.
For more than a century, the Alumni Association’s mission has been two fold: 1) to foster life-long relationships
With such a long life the Association has faced many challenges and seen many changes. In large measure, it reflects the much broader history of the University. Today, with a membership roster of over 1,000 members and over 35 active chapters located across the country, the Alumni Association continues to be a committed partner to the University.